Monday, October 20, 2008

Imperfect Peace!

Greetings on Peace Tuesday!

My mother often told me this story about myself when I was very small: I wouldn't participate in a new activity until I could do it perfectly. As a result I missed out on lots of fun and growth. Going for perfection got in the way of important social learning, the most important of which was not to take myself so darned seriously (that's Rule #6 in The Art of Possibilty!).

In Juddaism the Sabbath evening prayer asks that "the 'sukkah' of Peace spread over us". A sukkah is a flimsy, makeshift booth. The prayer points to the notion that even a flimsy and imperfect Peace, some attempt, any attempt at Peace, is a blessing.

I invite you to practice bringing imperfect Peace today. Notice where you are holding back your Peace offering hoping to get it exactly right before you share it. Any contribution to Peace is a right one. Or as my vocal coach loves to say, "the only bad notes are the ones you don't sing"! So, sing out this Peace Tuesday and know that any Peace you offer is a right and good gift.

Love,

Darlene

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Peacenik Darlene,
and I fully agree, especially here where you say: "Notice where you are holding back your Peace offering hoping to get it exactly right before you share it." And don't so many of us struggle with this striving for perfection instead of just allowing ourselves to just 'go for it!' exactly the way that we are. Wonderful post. Thanx